Monday, September 19, 2016

Do we Friend-Zone Christ?


So I was sitting in RCIA yesterday and a song came to mind.  The group is Vertical Horizon and the song is “Everything you Want”

“He's everything you want

He's everything you need

He's everything inside of you

That you wish you could be

He says all the right things

At exactly the right time

But he means nothing to you

And you don't know why”

 

It occurred to me that, I’ve always taken this as to be the anthem of the guy in the friend-zone.  For those of you who have no idea what that is, it when a person has a crush on another person, but the person they have a crush on treats them only as a friend…at best.  It applies to men and women equally.  Now I’ve loved this song for years, because it really does nail that dynamic between the two parties…but like I said, it occurred to me during RCIA.  So I jotted a note down really quick so I could get back to the class, but it’s been sitting there in the back of my head until it finally occurred to me…and the revelation has probably already hit you by now…this could easily describe our relationship with Christ.

 

“But Michael…” I hear you say “That’s just the chorus of the song.  Surely the who song can’t apply to our relationship with Christ.”

 

Wanna bet?

 

“Somewhere there's speaking

It's already coming in

Oh and it's rising at the back of your mind

You never could get it

Unless you were fed it

Now you're here and you don't know why”

 

I am really trying not be sarcastic here, so I’ll just say it straight…this applies to everyone going through existential crisis, trying to find meaning and direction in life.

 

“But under skinned knees and the skid marks

Past the places where you used to learn

You howl and listen

Listen and wait for the

Echoes of angels who won't return”

 

Every single time we call on God during a crisis we feel his presence, but then we wonder why His presence isn’t there 24-7, solving every single problem we encounter.  How many times do we make the same mistake more than once?  It may seem like the angels won’t return, but we’ve seen the solutions…we just need to acknowledge that God has given us the answer we just need to stop making the very specific mistake.

 

“You're waiting for someone

To put you together

You're waiting for someone to push you away

There's always another wound to discover

There's always something more you wish he'd say”

 

Sometimes we live off conflict, we project our pushing God away as Him pushing us because then we can validate our problems, feel defined by our struggles because we want the solutions to come to us.

 

“But you'll just sit tight

And watch it unwind

It's only what you're asking for

And you'll be just fine

With all of your time

It's only what you're waiting for”

 

We have a tendency to ignore problems, even though we could be taking actions to resolve them.  A popular one is money, where we are out of a job and waiting for an opportunity to land in our lap, but in fact we need to put in effort to find opportunity and figure out a solution in the meantime.  How many are out there waiting for the right job, when they could have taken over a dozen “right now” jobs?

 

“Out of the island

Into the highway

Past the places where you might have turned

You never did notice

But you still hide away

The anger of angels who won't return”

 

Just because you are angry at a situation or a problem, doesn’t mean it’s a problem you should be angry at.  I mentioned this on Facebook yesterday, which a lot of life’s problems are like clothes tangled around a washing machine agitator.  If all we do is tug as hard as we can on the part of the problem closes to the top, ie the most convenient part to reach, all we are going to do is frustrate ourselves and cause that coiling knot to get tighter.  We get frustrated at life’s problems because we want the solutions to be easy, but they rarely are.  Pretty much every one of life’s problems can be resolved by calmly getting to the root of the problem, which may be uncomfortable and hard to see, but its there.

 

I am everything you want

I am everything you need

I am everything inside of you

That you wish you could be

I say all the right things

At exactly the right time

But I mean nothing to you and I don't know why

And I don't know why

Why

I don't know

 

Christ says “Come to me, I am here for you.  I can help you.” But we are resistant for reasons that defy logic.  Maybe, again it’s because we feel defined by our struggle, like it makes us important, but Christ already thinks we’re important and wants to carry you to a resolution of those problems.

 

Basically, we friend-zoned Christ and we are poorer for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment